This is the definitive resource for deciding where to celebrate Christmas dinner with your loved ones. These are the spots to visit for a great holiday, whether you're in the mood for some fantastic Chin Chin food or a refreshing Four Pillars cocktail.
Dinner On Christmas Eve
Looking to get the party started early? Perhaps Christmas Eve is a special day for you. No matter the case, we've compiled a list of excellent eateries that are open on Christmas Eve.
Christmas Eve meals hosted by Henry Sugar are highly sought after and frequently sell out. As an example, a butter sponge bauble stuffed with spiced Christmas cake mousse, vanilla ice cream, and cherries is a popular dessert choice. All of your party members should be able to find something they like on the menu, since the restaurant can adapt to accommodate special diets.
The beautiful restaurant of the Sofitel Melbourne at Collins will be hosting a Christmas Eve buffet with all your holiday favourites. The restaurant, which can be found on the 35th level, is known for its upbeat vibe and breathtaking views. You can drink as much beer, wine, and soft beverages as you like with your meal thanks to the all-you-can-eat option. Either from 5:30 to 7:30 or 8:15 to 10:30 is an option for the time slot.
For those who would rather host a dinner party on Christmas Eve than prepare a traditional Christmas meal, Ryne is offering an unique menu. Menu items for the evening meal include:
- Sauternes with spanner crab in cantaloupe gazpacho
- Howdy, king salmon!
- Steak Diane
- Cherries with kirsch in a Black Forest trifle
- Individual Cost: $120
Breakfast On Christmas Day
Some people could be seeking for a place to eat breakfast on Christmas morning because they aren't intending on having a big Christmas meal or because they have a busy day ahead of them and don't want to cook and clean. You should be able to find a solution from these choices.
The Sofitel Melbourne near Collins provides a lavish Christmas morning breakfast buffet. From 6:30 till 10:30, you can take your time taking in the sights from the 35th floor.
St Ali Coffee Roasters
Start your Christmas Day off right with St. Ali's excellent breakfast buffet. To share, try the 64-degree boiled egg with creamy ricotta, celery, and Virgin Mary oysters. The main courses, in the form of brunch, include items like pork belly served with apple, eggs, and a marrow crumb. If you're craving dessert for breakfast, don't feel guilty about it. There's Eton mess, and you can get Christmas pudding with brandy sauce. The likes of coffee, fresh juice, and cocktails are also available as extras.
Lunch On Christmas Day
You can pick from a wide variety of excellent Christmas lunch options in Melbourne's many restaurants. Many restaurants provide their own unique takes on classic Christmas dishes, while others cater to those looking for something more traditional. Many of our area's finest eateries are open on Christmas Day, and there's truly something for everyone's palate and wallet.
The Westin Melbourne
There will be a holiday high tea party held in the Lobby Lounge of the Westin. Offerings include herbal infusions of Jing Tea, Vittoria coffee blends, sparkling wine, or champagne, as well as sweet and savoury treats handcrafted by their culinary staff.
The Exchange near Port Melbourne is serving a fantastic three-course Christmas lunch with vegetarian dishes and private family dining for an additional cost, so bring the whole gang there for a holiday meal. It's the perfect plan for a peaceful holiday with loved ones.
Chin Chin Melbourne Christmas Lunch
Chin-mas Feed Me lunch is being served at the famous Flinders Lane restaurant. Included in the menu are sweet treats like jelly mess, Christmas pudding, and chocolate and coco gumballs in addition to savoury delicacies like kingfish sushi, coconut & fennel glazed ham, roasted Fraser Bay scallops, green curries of king prawn, and heirloom tomato salad.
A Kisume Christmas
On Christmas Day, Kisume serves a 5 chef's menu featuring dishes such Feedlot Kiwami Schot Fillet, Chicken with plum, beet, charred Negi, and buckwheat, and a Deluxe Highlight Box with a variety of sashimi and sushi.
Imperial Bourke Street
There's a Christmas dinner at the Imperial that's sure to delight everyone in your group, whether it's family or friends. There will be two seatings on Christmas Day, at 11:30 am or 2 pm, and the three-course meal will cost $95 for person or $35 for children.
The Duke, a household name and perennial favourite, hosts a holiday show that's sure to be a hit with the whole family. Guests may enjoy a hearty three-course meal, including options for vegetarians, at this laid-back eatery. A slow-cooked turkey & Christmas pudding are two of the best holiday meals, making this a wonderful way to celebrate the holiday.
State Of Grace
The Realm of Grace is the place to go for a classy Christmas celebration. There are two seatings for the restaurant's special holiday menu of four courses. At $110 for adults & $40 for children, that Christmas meal will be one to savour.
Prince Alfred is indeed the place to be if you're in Richmond. There will be a taster plate, main dish selection, sharing sides, and dessert plate for this year's Christmas dinner. There will be two sittings available, at 11:30 am 2 pm, making it convenient for the whole family to spend the day together.
A festive four-course meal will be served on the party pontoon as you float through Christmas lunch. Who may enjoy a three-hour Beach House feast prepared by Arbory Afloat and Four Pillars Gin from 11:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Dishes during the feast include:
- Served cold, along with Beach Bar munchies and flatbread
- pies cooked in a wood-burning oven
- Beef roast, fish roast, pumpkin roast, and green salad, all organic.
- Cherry and Four Pillar Christmas Gin Pavlova.
- Menus geared towards vegetarians and vegans
- Four Pillars drinks, beer, cider, wine, and champagne for two hours
- For parties of 4 to 10, we offer reserved table seating as well as daybed and cabana rentals.
Arbory Bar And Eatery
Like the sound of the Christmas Gin lunch at Arbory Afloat but would rather keep your feet on solid ground? Sure, no sweat. Enjoy the extravagance of The Arbory & Four Pillars Christmas Wine Feast while sitting on the balcony overlooking the Yarra River. The lunch is served over the course of three hours, beginning at 11.30 am and ending at 9 pm.
- Three-course meal
- Cold shellfish, hot rolls, cured meats, and sourdough toast.
- Ham glaze, gratin potatoes, and greens
- White chocolate and gin roulade, courtesy of Four Pillars, for the holidays
- All dishes can be made vegetarian or vegan upon request.
- Children's menu with free soft drinks
- Four Pillars drinks, beer, cider, wine, and champagne for two hours
- Crackers for Christmas
- Continuous music from the resident DJs
Conservatory At Crown
For a festive Christmas meal with a touch of class, visit the Conservatory's lavish dining area. It's like all your Christmases had come at once with the marble floors, extravagant decor, and breathtaking views of a Yarra River. For Christmas Day, instead of the usual lavish buffet, the Conservatory will serve a special five-course meal that will include:
- My flute of Piper Heidsieck Prosecco
- Termites in Moreton Bay
- The ocean trout is cured in gin and blood orange and served with osetra caviar.
- Breast of turkey stuffed with Serrano ham
- Tortelloni with a variety of wild mushrooms.
- Dessert shaped like a golden bauble and filled with popping candies, nougatine honey parfait, and gold flakes.
- Real-time performances
L’hotel Gitan | Prahran
In the mood for a French holiday? It's possible that the staff at L'Hotel Gitan can assist you. The gastropub, which takes its inspiration from France, will provide a delicious Christmas brunch. Seatings are at 12pm and 2:30pm. What you'll like:
- Burgundy's Gougères and the region's famous Comté
- Abrolhos Island scallops from Washington state, Yarra Valley caviar, Moc yellowfin tuna,
- The Duck Cognac Jus, Chestnut Crème, and Wild Thyme of the Duck Margaret
- Served atop a rotisserie wit truffle jus and marbled beef from the Southern Ranges are two fillets.
- Witlof salad, kale, and steamed potatoes
- Tart with cherry clafoutis and mascarpone cheese Chantilly
As always, Matilda159's Christmas dinner will be elegant and feature delicious gourmet fare. Who will captivate both longtime fans and first-time visitors with its selection of signature dishes and innovative new offerings.
- Appetisers including salmon roe profiteroles, Merimbula oysters, and beef tartare
- Fraser Island fiddler crab, Mooloolaba prawns, and an unique dish of stracciatella, heirloom tomato, and grilled peach served as an appetiser and shared entree.
- Choose between Humpty Doo FIsh, Wagyu steak, or hand-rolled gnocchi.
- Conversable perspectives
- Dessert: pavlova with raspberry filling with lemon myrtle
Relax and enjoy a three-course meal at Meat Market with all the trimmings of the holiday season. At Christmas lunch, guests can choose from numerous seating times spread out throughout the course of the afternoon, each lasting two hours. Items on the menu are:
- Champagne Mumm petit cordon awaited guests.
- Get started with some oysters, mussels, prawns, and more from Coffin Bay.
- There are 3 different entrees to choose from.
- There are five options for the main dish, including a turkey breast stuffed with macadamia nuts and dried apricots that has been brined in cider.
- Shareable savoury dishes and sweet endings
Punch Lane, which has been around for 25 years, will serve Christmas lunch for first time. Feast on a holiday meal with all the fixings.
- a seasonal four-course meal
- Traditional foods, such as roasted duck,
- Trifle made with Christmas cake and cherries that have been soaking in alcohol.
- Enjoy a chilled glass from Louis Roederer wine as you check in.
- Individual Cost: $225
On Christmas Day, Rosella will host a feast with a Puglian flair. Because of the restaurant's well-deserved reputation for highlighting natural, shared, seasonal, local produce, you can rest assured that everyone in your party will have a fantastic time. A traditional Christmas meal includes:
- Welcome drinks upon entry
- Fifteen Lessons to Split
- The two primary
- A classic holiday dessert
- Costs of $200 per person
Ryne's adult tasting menu consists of six courses and begins with your choice of a Spritz, Mocktail, or a bottle of NV Marlborough Special Cuvee. They also provide a special three-course menu for youngsters that includes an non-alcoholic beverage. Here are some of the incredible options available to adults:
- Gaspacho made from cantaloupe, crab in a spanner, and sauternes
- Tasmanian crayfish, tomato, and basil, cooked low and slow.
- Ora King salmon confit in olive oil, horseradish, daikon, and smoked veloute
- Gravy, stuffing, cranberries, and turkey on the roasting pan.
- Stuffed beef wellington with mashed potatoes and a red wine sauce
- Cherry kirsch cake and Black Forest pies.
The Duke of Wellington Hotel
While the price of Christmas lunch in Melbourne's oldest pub may seem low, don't be fooled by the low cost. Stunning classics with an exotic touch can be found on the menu at the Duke's mansion. Adults can choose from a three-course meal, while younger guests can enjoy a two-course menu. In addition, there is a vegetarian menu that consists of three courses. There are timeslots at 11:30 and 2:00 if you'd want to come in.
Main menu options include:
- There are local sliced turkey, pork terrine, and Mount Zero olives on the menu, as well as oysters, Queensland shrimp, Yarra Valley tomatoes, and buffalo mozzarella as appetisers.
- ham with apricot and bourbon glaze
- Turkey breast stuffed with currants, figs, and chestnuts, cooked low and slow; cranberry sauce on the side.
- Leaf and herb salad, summer greens, and the traditional roasted vegetables
- Cognac-infused vanilla bean custard and a Christmas pudding.
- Mini fruit tarts with a bowl of fresh, in-season cherries on ice.
Meatless options on the menu are:
- Appetizers of Yarra Valley tomato & buffalo mozzarella, yellow squash & zucchini terrine, and compressed rockmelon, honeydew, and crunchy iceberg
- Smoked and glazed eggplant, pureed smoked eggplant with spices, confit garlic, and a mustard seed sauce
- Stuffing of roasted heirloom pumpkin with popped grains & seeds, yoghurt, sweet currant, cranberries sauce, roasted veggies, and onion gravy
- Leaf and herb salad, summer greens, and the traditional roasted vegetables
- Cognac-soaked vegan Christmas pudding with vanilla coconut custard.
- Tiny fruit mince truffle topped with fruit and cognac sponge and fresh-picked cherries served over ice.
- Price: $95 for adults, $35 for kids (ages 12 and under)
Dinner On Christmas Day
Some of these evening Christmas celebrations will surprise and excite you if that's how you usually spend the holiday.
All of the meals on Allegro at the Westin's à la carte menu are meant to share amongst friends and family. Kingfish ceviche over summer flowers, Victorian turkey leg cooked with bay leaf, and Murray cod baked in a salt crust are just a few of the options. For dessert, we have pavlova with dragonfruit, mangoes, starfruit, rambutan, and passionfruit in addition to a traditional Holiday pudding topped with cognac crème anglaise.
Panda Hot Pot
Here's something totally different! The Christmas set menu at Panda Hot Pot is about as far as you can get from conventional Christmas meals, but it's still a fun way to shake things up this year. Foods like yuan yang hot pot soup, seasoned beef slices, prawn mash, and snakehead fish slice can be found on the 2, 4, and 6-8 person menus, respectively. Each menu is accompanied by a jug of plums juice or, for just a small surcharge, a bottle of the house red.
The Brighton Savoy
As you enter the Seaview Room for your traditional Christmas dinner, you will be treated to breathtaking views of Port Phillip Bay. The event will be formal, with tables set with white linens and stunning Christmas centrepieces. From 7-10:30, we'll serve a dinner menu that includes:
- Seafood sampler with prawn cocktail, cured salmon rosette, & virgin Mary oysters
- A traditional Thanksgiving meal with all the fixings: roasted turkey, ham, potatoes, green beans, and cranberry sauce, all freshly cut.
- Traditionally, Christmas desserts include plum pudding topped by hot brandy cream and berries.
- Tea, coffee, fruit pies, and mint chocolates.
- Beverages, such as De Bortoli Willowglen wine, alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages, and soft drinks
- Special kid-friendly, veggie, and gluten-free meals are on hand.
On Christmas Day, We Will Be Open As Usual.
Many Melbourne eateries remain open off Christmas Day without offering special Christmas menus. Thus, if you don't participate or just need a quick lunch, try one of them.
- Downtown Melbourne's Da Long Yi
- From 5 p.m. until 10 p.m., Grand Lafayette is open in Prahran.
- Restaurant Gold Leaf, Sunshine
- CBD (Central Business District) location of JiYu Thai Soup Dumpling
- Mr. Brownie South Melbourne Hotel's Rooftop Bar
- CBD of Melbourne's Musou
- Vietnamese Food at Pho Hung Vuong in Springvale
- Open from 12 pm to 12 am daily in Melbourne's central business district: Thai Town QV
- Melbourne's downtown Tim Ho Wan is open from 10 a.m. until 9 p.m.
During a lockdown, Thai Tide served full mud crab to the people. This year for Christmas dinner, you can choose from any item on the normal menu.
Come celebrate Christmas with Sunda and her six-course degustation meal including dishes with an Australian or Southeast Asian flare. Prepare yourselves for one of the memorable Christmas meals you'll ever have, and forget all about glazed ham or roast turkey.
The Duke Of Wellington Hotel
The Duke de Wellington is offering a traditional Christmas lunch menu with all the trimmings, including turkey (slow-cooked with such a currant, fig, and chestnut stuffing), ham (with a whiskey and apricot glaze), prawns, oysters, and Christmas pudding. On the vegetarian menu, we replace the ham with eggplant as well as the turkey with pumpkin so that everyone can feel welcome.
Hofbrauhaus's temporary Docklands site is the perfect spot to relax with a mug of pilsner and a plate of Wienerschnitzel or a pork knuckle the size of your head. The beer garden and restaurant intends to have its standard menu as well as some specialities available. Check the website and Facebook page to see whether they are accepting walk-ins or if they are booked in advance.
Tickets to Henry Sugar's Christmas Eve dinners are extremely popular and often sell out immediately. If you'd prefer spend Christmas Eve at home hosting a dinner party, Ryne has you covered with a special menu. On Christmas morning, guests at the No. 35 Sofitel Melbourne in Collins can enjoy a sumptuous spread at the hotel's breakfast buffet. The best restaurants in Melbourne are open for business on Christmas Day. Everyone's tastes and budgets can be accommodated, from homemade pies to sushi.
Familiar face The Duke hosts a festive special that everyone may enjoy. The Beach House pontoon will play host to a joyful four-course supper prepared by Arbory Afloat and paired with Four Pillars Gin. There is a three-hour window between 11:30 a.m. and 9 p.m. for the Christmas Gin supper. Vegetarian and vegan versions of all dishes are available upon request. Coffin Bay oysters, mussels, prawns, and more are available on the menu.
Adults can choose from a three-course meal or a two-course menu at the Duke of Wellington Hotel. There is a vegetarian option on the six-course adult tasting menu. You can order a bottle of NV Marlborough Special Cuvee or a Spritz or Mocktail from the bar. Food items marked "Allegro" on the à la carte menu at the Westin are meant to be shared amongst many diners. The menu features a variety of dishes, such as kingfish ceviche served over summer flowers, Victorian turkey leg roasted with bay leaf, and Murray cod baked in a salt crust.
A lot of Melbourne restaurants are open on Christmas Day, but they don't have any holiday specials. The Duke of Wellington Hotel is serving a full Christmas meal, complete with turkey and all the fixings, for lunch on Christmas Day. The six-course degustation menu at Sunda features meals inspired by Australia and Southeast Asia.
- Guests at the Sofitel Melbourne near Collins can enjoy a sumptuous Christmas morning breakfast buffet.
- Many restaurants in Melbourne provide delicious Christmas lunches, so it can be difficult to choose.
- Yes, Prince Alfred is Richmond's hottest spot right now.
- Who can take advantage of Arbory Afloat and Four Pillars Gin's 11:30 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Beach House feast. Served cold, along with Beach Bar nibbles and flatbread pies made in a wood-burning oven. All-organic roast beef, fish, pumpkin, and green salad.
- Sit back and relax on the terrace overlooking the Yarra River as you indulge in The Arbory & Four Pillars Christmas Wine Feast.
- L'Hotel Gitan might be able to help you out.
- A Stay at the Duke of Wellington
- Don't be deceived by the modest cost of Christmas lunch at Melbourne's oldest bar.
- At the Duke's palace, you may dine on stunning renditions of classic dishes with an exotic twist.
- The menu features a three-course option for adults and a two-course option for children.
- All of the dishes offered a la carte at Allegro at the Westin are meant to be shared amongst several diners.
- Chinese Panda Stew
- This is something completely new!
- While Panda Hot Pot's Christmas set menu is about as far as you can get from traditional Christmas fare, it's still a great way to mix things up this year.
- It was at the Savoy in Brighton.
- The Seaview Room offers spectacular views of Port Phillip Bay as you and your family gather for your annual Christmas meal.
- A lot of Melbourne restaurants are open on Christmas Day, but they don't have any holiday specials.
- For Christmas dinner this year, pick anything off the regular menu.
FAQs About Christmas Day In Melbourne
- Christmas ham.
- Christmas turkey.
- Christmas prawns.
- Christmas seafood.
- Roast pork.
- Roast lamb.
Confusingly, Christmas dinner is a late lunch, served between 2 pm and 3 pm. Go into early evening, and guests will be too hangry or drunk to appreciate it.
- Have a family breakfast.
- Watch a Christmas Movie.
- Look at Christmas Lights and leave a note!
- Call your family.
- Write Thank You Notes.
- Have a Candy Cane Hunt!
- Luna Park. This amusement park is among the most famous places to visit in Australia during Christmas.
- Lord Howe Island.
- The Whitsundays.
- Yarra River, Melbourne.
- Christmas Square, Melbourne.
- Santa's the Magical Kingdom, Melbourne.
- Federation Square, Melbourne.
- Glebe Park.
December 26 is a day off for most workers where it's a state holiday. Most families use up a vacation day in places where it's not a public holiday, as most schools are closed. US presidents have given federal government workers either a full or half-day off in some years.